Friday, December 3, 2010

Futile Effort

England should not bid for the World Cup again unless changes are made to Fifa's selection process, the head of the doomed campaign said this morning. 

Chief executive Andy Anson claimed England will not stand a chance until power is shifted from the 22-member selection panel.  He questioned why England had only attracted a total of two votes from the panel when the bid was widely perceived to be very strong.

Speaking at a press conference at the bid team's headquarters in Zurich he was repeatedly pressed on who did not deliver on their promise of voting for England, but he refused to reveal any names.

Why on earth not?  They hardly deserve any loyalty after ditching the good ship Team Eng-er-land like drowning rats- name and shame and give them  something to think about.  He said that Fifa delegates believe the British media "killed" the bid.

"We have spoken to some executive committee members and I'll be very clear that what they are saying to us is one thing.  I'll caveat this by saying this is not our excuse at all. But they are saying to us that our media killed us.'

My only issue, as you know, with the Sunday Times and the BBC, and more the BBC, was the timing of it.  For us, it was almost impossible to bounce back with three or four weeks to go.  And then in the last week to actually know that Fifa executive committee members were saying to us that our media is killing us."

And this is what grates my cheese- that Fifa are supposedly above the law and should not be investigated by journalists or similar.  To stamp their feet and throw a hissy fit is typical of this bloated, out-dated and selfish committee (I wonder how many are ex MPs?).  Time to dump the lot and start a-fresh.  Starting with an impartial, transparent voting system.

Oh, and want to know how much this charade cost the country?  £15 million.

No comments:

Post a Comment