Usually the large malls open at 10:00 and having left a bit later, it was approaching 11:00 by the time I had walked there. I was allowed into the building but only as far as the lift, where the lift operator (two ladies in full uniform) took me directly to the basement. All escalators were cordoned off and we were only allowed to mingle around the bakery and a few smaller shopping outlets selling snacks or drinks.
At precisely 11:00, all the people sitting down on the public benches and patiently waiting got up and were given entry to the rest of the floors. It was like a scene from the January sales as people swarmed up the escalators to begin their daily shop.
I just went with the flow but was amazed to see every single shop assistant standing to attention at the corner of every aisle and each time anyone walked past, they bowed and wished everyone a good morning. I felt so conspicuous and even slightly embarrassed, but the locals thought nothing of it.
Then, at 11:15 they all dispersed and went back to their counters to start the day for real.
Very odd indeed but in a nice kind of way.
No comments:
Post a Comment